Discover all about 6 Tips for Singing Into a Microphone – Record Vocals for Best Results – Felicia Ricci by reading the article below, and if you want to know more about learning how to sing then follow this link by clicking here 6 Tips for Singing Into a Microphone – Record Vocals for Best Results – Felicia Ricci.
6 Tips for Singing Into a Microphone – Record Vocals for Best Results / – Take my FREE 3-video belt singing course!
Here’s a lil video all about microphone singing! My best 6 tips for knowing how to record vocals for optimal results. They are:
1) Set levels so they’re not too high; otherwise you’ll max out and distort your vocal recording — and, worse, try to hold back or sing tentatively to accommodate this too-high setting. Instead, aim for a lower microphone level. You can always boost it later.
2) Get your live monitor/headphone levels right! Singing with headphones always presents its own set of challenges, so I almost always leave one ear outside of the headphones as I’m singing to get some live feedback.
3) Don’t forget your breathing DOWN BELOW! The microphone picks up what you’re creating up top, however, the work and effort happens via the rest of your body. Don’t forget your technique or become a “neck-up” singer in the studio.
4) Be mindful of how distance to the microphone affects the nuance, intimacy and volume of what you’re singing. Closer = more intimate. Further away = taller, more echo-y, for louder moments.
5) Learn how to breathe without harsh, noticeable gasps (super distracting — and I give you a quick tutorial on how to do this in the video).
6) Finally, experiment! Microphones are incredible tools, so don’t be intimidated! Just practice and see what sounds good, then trust your instincts. 🙂
In the video I also mentioned that I was using an Audio-Technica AT4040 condenser microphone for $299 –
Ooh! Even better — AT4040 plus pop-filter and XLR cable, for $299:
Other good condenser microphones….
AT2020 microphone is $99 –
AT2020 microphone with USB hookup is $149 –
MXL 770 for $75 –
My headphones are also Audio-Technica (see a trend here?) and you can find them here:
*Please note, these are Amazon affiliate links.
Hope this video and these resources are helpful!!
Find me on Facebook:
Find me on le Twitterz:
And Instagram, too!
As a professional voice finder, it’s my sworn duty to teach you how to find your singing voice! Learning how to improve your singing voice is all about simple, achievable steps that make SENSE to you. All of us learn how to sing on our own timeline, and certain things will click more than others. But it’s important that YOU understand your voice more than anyone else — learning how to be a good singer is, in many ways, getting to know yourself 🙂 If you feel you don’t yet know how to sing like a pro, be patient — every baby step and daily practice session helps. (And I’ll keep posting new vids to help you!)
For more singing tips videos, lessons on how to improve your singing, song breakdowns and other goodies, please don’t forget to subscribe!
Enroll in my completely FREE belt singing course – including 40+ minutes of video:
Get 11+ vocal warmups, including FREE video demos and audio downloads:
How to Sing “Chandelier” by Sia: